This weeks iOS Open Source project is ASIHTTPRequest, a wrapper around the CFNetwork API to simplify working with web servers. One of the primary benefits of ASIHTTPRequest is its range of features for most anything web server related, all rolled into one library.
Below is just a taste of what you’ll find in ASIHTTPRequest:
– Submit and retrieve data
– Access request and response headers
– Background task support on iOS4+
– Using delegates, manage progress indicators (for upload/download)
– Content downloaded can be stored in memory or written to disk
– Persistent connections and synchronous/asynchronous requests
– Cookie support
– Proxy support
– Rackspace and Amazon S3
I’ve worked with ASIHTTPRequest on a sizeable iPhone/iPad project that was entirely web-server centric, this framework was a significant time saver, well worth a look.
Download the Source Code: Github project page
Developer Community: Google Group
Suggestions For Open Source Projects?
If you have written, worked with or otherwise know of an interesting open source project, one that is focused on iOS development, feel free to send me a note. Even a simple class/category that offers something useful is welcome. Contact me with ideas and suggestions.